Dawn + Vinegar : Does it REALLY work??

The other day I was talking to my mom on the phone and she was telling me about this blog, One Good Thing By Jillee, that she had started reading. The lady had a cleaning schedule that was supposedly help you clean your bathroom in minutes, so my mom was giving it a try. The lady used only water and vinegar to clean, and then used dawn and vinegar to get soap scum and grime off the shower. My mom gave it a try, and LOVED it. She called me and told me all about it and that I needed to try it!
dawn and vinegar cleaner
Since she insisted it worked wonders, I thought I'd give it a true test. Our Master bathtub had that gross dark siding in the tub when we moved in. I had tried everything in my power to clean it, but the grime just wouldn't budge. In our guest bath we had a very similar thing in the sink where water must have sat too long and built up a grime in there. I thought I'd try the dawn+vinegar and see if that really did all that it was cracked up to do! It also helps that vinegar and dawn are both really cheap!

I already had vinegar, and in the Target "One Spot" they had small bottles of dawn for $1.00, so I bought some and got to work!

You are supposed to take one part vinegar to one part Dawn. I combined them in a bowl, only to find out later from my mom, you're supposed to combine it in a spray bottle for easy distribution, my bad. So I basically just poured the mixture onto the grime in both areas being sure to cover completely.Then I just let it sit for an hour. I didn't scrub or anything. After an hour I went in with a wet sponge and started to scrub. The tub grime came off like nothing! It was amazing! I decided I wanted to leave it for another hour just to ensure that it would all come off. I then went to the sink, that grime was a little bit harder to get off, I actually had to scrub it was caked on there so much. I definitely knew I was going to wait another hour for it as well.

The next hour past and I went to the tub first. I decided to just go ahead and rinse it out and see what it looked like. It was SPOTLESS. Y'all, this is insane, it looked so amazing, like a brand new tub!!!
dawn and vinegar
I was so excited so I went over to the sink to start scrubbing on it. After a little elbow grease, I was able to get the tough grime off as well!! This mixture is a miracle worker, and is so much cheaper to use, and doesn't have any harsh chemicals like the other cleaners! I will never go back!! I still haven't had a chance to try the vinegar + water mixture, but plan on trying it this week. I'll do a review if anyone is curious of the results?
dawn and vinegar
Have you tried out this cleaning mixture? Did it work for you?


**UPDATE** I've been having lots of questions, so check the comments for answers to questions you may have!! :)
 photo signaturepost2_zps39a43f4a.png

21 comments:

  1. That is so awesome! Did you use white vinegar or a different kind? The bathtub and sink in our apartment have been gross since we moved in, so I'm definitely going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat trick! We already have Dawn. I just need to get some white vinegar, which, by the way, has been popping up in so many DIY tutorials I've seen recently. It seems I just need to get some of it, as it is so handy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat trick! We already have Dawn. I just need to get some white vinegar, which, by the way, has been popping up in so many DIY tutorials I've seen recently. It seems I just need to get some of it, as it is so handy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely going to have to try this now! I have seen the combination mentioned on Pinterest a lot, but I just keep forgetting to get dawn and vinegar at the store.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is magic - and is the BEST out there. But, it fumes up my house. Like, I feel like I am going to die of fumes :(. Did you experience this? Ant tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Mine did smell, but the scent of the Dawn kinda cancelled it out so it wasn't overwhelming. I used distilled white vinegar, not sure if that made a difference or what you used? I also opened the windows because I was afraid it was going to smell so bad!

      Delete
  6. Do you think this would also work for hard water stains in the shower? Do you have any remedies? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! My parents have extremely hard water, so my mom just lathered it on the shower and actually left it overnight. Then when she took a shower the next morning, she rinsed it out and she said it was the cleanest her shower has ever been! It wouldn't hurt to give it a try!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing! I have some stubborn stains in our tub/shower too, so I'm definitely going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this stuff. I also love that there aren't chemicals. I put some in those dish scrubbers where you can put soap in the handle - and let my 4 year old clean her tub and sink! I LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowie!!! I'm going to have to try this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a really cool tip! I'll have to try it.

    Thanks for linking up for MMG :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to know! We have really hard water and I'm trying to go more green with my cleaning products. Thanks for the tips!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw this on Pinterest some time ago and now it is all I use on my bathtubs, sink and toilets! Works wonders on hard water stains & rust.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am going to give this a go, as anything that makes cleaning the bathroom easy I am for since I have trouble getting down on the floor to clean the bath.

    ReplyDelete
  14. was your tub porcelain or fiberglass? Mine are fiberglass and I cant find anything to get it clean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe mine is porcelain, but my mom's is fiberglass and it worked like a charm! Wouldn't hurt to try!

      Delete
  15. Have to try this in my bathroom. I do use this mixture (+ a bit of water) to clean my white kitchen cabinets. It works great there too.
    x

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and try to reply to each one I can! So please let me know what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...