My Tips on How to Stay Organized While Moving

J and I have moved so much since we graduated high school. (yes, we're babies) Moving every year from dorm rooms back home to apartments, to combining our things in new apartments, then moving 5 hours to another apartment! I've got this down to a system now y'all! Here are my tips for staying organized while moving your small space!



1. Don't take your clothes off the hangers! This makes more work for you! No one wants to take clothes off the hanger, move, then have to put all the clothes back on the hanger. What I do is take a large contractor bag, make a hole in the center of the bottom of the bag, just big enough for a fist to go through. Grab some of your clothes off the rod, and pull the garbage bag over the hangers. Keep the hangers together. Tie the bottom of the bag, this makes sure if any of the clothes fall off their hangers, they won't get lost anywhere, they will stay in the bag! I posted a tutorial last week, click HERE.

2. Label each box thoroughly. Last year, my husband and I had to stay with my parents for a few months while we looked for jobs and saved money. We didn't want to unpack because we didn't know how soon we would be moving. By labeling every box with just about every item that was in it, we could find things a lot faster. If I needed a toaster, I just had to look at all the boxes and find the box that had toaster written on it.

3. Keep your boxes! We know that where we are now, is not where we will be staying long term. We know that we will be moving again shortly, so we never get rid of our boxes. This includes boxes that our stuff came in. (i.e.: coffee maker, Keurig, mixer, etc.) By keeping these boxes it provides proper packing material to keep your stuff from breaking!

4. Pack one room at a time! Get one of your big cardboard boxes, and start with the hall closet, garbage bag your coats, then all leftover stuff pack into the box. Once the closet is done, move onto the hall bath. This will keep you from stressing out about all of the stuff you need to pack. One small victory at a time folks!

5. Give yourself enough time! DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE! No one likes to pack in a rush! If you know you are moving in 1 month, don't wait until the moving van is there to start packing up. I've only done this once, and learned my lesson immediately. I didn't know where anything was and it ended up stressing me out more. You might have to eat off Styrofoam for a couple of days because your plates are packed, but you will be more calm come moving day, trust me!

6. Once you are moving in, put the boxes in the room in which it goes. Hall closet box? Go ahead and put it in the hall closet. Hall bath box? Put it in the hall bath. This will allow you to just go from room to room and unpack. No need to run all over the place moving stuff. I like to completely unpack and just put stuff away, then go back and make it all pretty and organized.

7. Last, but not least, GET HELP! No one likes to pack and move alone. We provided beer and pizza for J's friends to help us move. It made the process so much easier, and in half the time it would've taken just the two of us. If people offer to help, take it! I know a lot of people don't like having people go through their things, but have some projects you can assign, like when you move out of an apartment, you need to have all the windows cleaned, vacuum, etc.

What are some ways you have stayed organized while moving? What kind of tips do you have?



{{UPDATE}}... Click HERE for some moving tips I put together from Pinterest!

 photo signaturepost2_zps39a43f4a.png

4 comments:

  1. What great tips! Hopefully Nate and I will be moving in a bit under a year so I'm keeping these tips in the back of my mind until then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing tips would like to try for sure.

    Thanks
    Finn Felton

    Kopi Luwak

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moving is stressful task for everyone specially when you don't have a moving plan. To make your moving days easier make a plan & checklists for it. Pack all those items, which are important to you & remove the junks before packing the boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are getting married in January and I have been so stressed about staying organized during the move into his house. This is a great post!!! Thanks for sharing!

    Love and Blessings,
    Lacy

    www.chosentheblog.com

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and try to reply to each one I can! So please let me know what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...