Running for My Life



Hey friends!! Today I have a post that I've been wanting to write and post for a long time, but just couldn't. I've been very quiet on this because I have had a very hard time dealing with it, but I think I'm finally in a good place about it all.  At the end of January this year, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. It came completely unexpected and broke my heart. Everything flew into a whirlwind and moved so fast. Within two weeks she was going into surgery to have a mastectomy, then started chemo. We all couldn't wrap our heads around it. It was so hard seeing my parents worried and scared. I am extremely close to my parents, so to see them like that really scared me. My mom was extremely lucky though, she caught it super early and will be okay. She just finished her last "bad" chemo treatment two weeks ago. Her hair will be able to start growing back, and she will start feeling more like herself again! Shout out to J for being there for me 100%. Thank you for giving me your shoulder to cry on night after night, and dealing with my unbearable mood swings. You are truly amazing, and I know you will always be there for me no matter what!

Now I'm sure you are wondering what this has to do with my post title.  I have written before about my diagnoses with Ulcerative Colitis and how I have to make sure I take care of myself.  Well, after seeing my mom go through what she has gone through, it has really motivated me to stay healthy.  My chances of getting breast cancer just increased significantly now that my mom has had it and both of my grandmothers have had it. One of the reasons my mom is doing so amazing is that she has lived and continues to live a healthy lifestyle.  After meeting with my doctor, she said my biggest chance for doing well in the future is to start being healthy now. That means eating healthy and getting out and exercising.

I've never been a runner. Like, ever. In high school when we had to run "the mile", I was the person walking and being yelled at by the coach to run.  I just couldn't do it. I had no WANT to do it.  J runs almost every morning. He's insane, he runs about 7 miles every day. After watching him take off every morning, I started to get that want, the need, to go out there as well. I can't run on a treadmill because I end up falling or tripping because I can't stay in a line! I always thought if I ran outside, then maybe...just maaayyyybe I could do it. So one Saturday morning, I bit the bullet and went running. I'm not even going to lie. I thought I was going to throw up, pass out, and then die. HA I ran about half a mile? I walked verrrry slowly back to the apartment. You would think after that, I would never do it again. But you're wrong. Once I stopped sweating, and I could breathe again, I felt amazing. I felt like I had accomplished something. I wanted to go run AGAIN. So the next morning, I did! If you follow me on Instagram (@limitedspaceorganizing), you've seen that I've been doing good!! I try to run 4 mornings in a row, then take one day off. Of course this doesn't always happen, but I'm proud of myself for actually sticking to something. As silly as it seems, one of the things on my bucket list was to be able to run a WHOLE mile. I know some of you are like, that's nothing! But to someone who literally couldn't run half a football field, a mile is a HUGE milestone! I crossed that milestone about a month after I started running! I feel like I could've gotten there sooner, but my route is downhill for half a mile and then uphill another half mile and that uphill just kills me!! So now I like to say I'm running for my life. Which I am, I running to keep myself healthy so that whatever my health future holds, I'll be able to tackle it head on!

 
Buttergirl Diaries

5 comments:

  1. WOW... this is such a moving post and I welled up with tears at your sweet honesty and vulnerability and sharing with us. Thank you so much Sarah. I am so sorry for all that your mom (and your family) is going through. SO thankful that she will be ok, but I empathize with the rough road of healing. Thank you for sharing with us and please know that you and your mom are in my thoughts and prayers!
    :) Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad your mom is going to be ok! And thank you for sharing, that must have been hard, so thank you for that. I'm trying to start running too. I want to get more healthy and get in shape. It's a struggle at first, but it gets easier every time. Congrats on hitting your goal of a mile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sarah! Thanks for joining my link-up! I'm so excited to have you share in your running journey. I am so sorry to hear about your mom and her battle with breast cancer. It will be a long journey but you have all of your blog friends right by your side to help you along the way...

    So excited you joined my linky! Can't wait to read your posts and help you stay motivated and inspired...

    Ginny
    www.buttergirldiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, I appreciate your heart felt post about your family's difficult journey. I also commend you on starting healthy habits at your young age :) Please let your Mother know she is in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have just become my inspiration for running.

    I hate it. I mean, absolutely hate it. Half a mile is my limit as well, b ut I do always feel better if I can make myself get up and actually do it. Props to you for sticking with it thus far. :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and try to reply to each one I can! So please let me know what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...