Cheap & Easy TV Stand Makeover


Hey y'all, hope you all had a great weekend! I know I sound waaay too chipper for it being a Monday, but on Wednesday, my husband and I are taking an extended vacation down to the Hill Country to spend some time with our families, and we just cannot wait!! 
Image Map

Moving on to today's project. On Friday, I was sitting here watching TV, and as I was looking at our TV stand, I noticed how blah, and boring it was. Our apartment came with 2 accent walls painted a dark brown. Although I don't mind the color, our TV and TV stand are black and they completely blend into the wall. It lacks some serious color, so I started thinking about what I could do. Since we live in an apartment, painting the wall was out of the question, and painting the stand was out of the question.(we don't have a place big enough to paint!) 

BEFORE
Then, I realized I could do something with the shelves! I decided to decoupage some bright scrapbook paper to the shelves to add a pop of color. I ended up following the same system as my bookcase makeover. 

I went to Michael's, and started looking at all the different paper they had. I didn't want anything outrageous, and was originally looking for a gold and light blue paper, but to my dismay, there wasn't any. I then started thinking about the other colors in our living room, and decided on yellow and white to go with my DIY ottoman.  I found a print that had a good mix of the two colors, in a pattern that I really liked. Luckily, Michael's was having a buy one get one sale, so I got 4 sheets of paper for like $1.00. Win.

Once I got home I took out the shelf and measured the paper on it. Two sheets were needed for both shelves. I needed to make sure the print matched up on the shelf so that it looked good! The paper was not wide enough to completely cover the whole shelf, but no one sees the back of your shelves, so I didn't worry about it. As you can see in the pics, you can't even tell! 

I then wiped the shelves, added a thin layer of decoupage to the shelves, and placed the paper on top, making sure the patterns matched up.  I let it dry a few mins, then added a thin top coat to the shelves. Once it dried I put the top shelf back in, and wah-lah! all done!!

Since I already had the decoupage, this project cost me a whole DOLLAR! So cheap. So easy. This is a great idea for anyone who needs a quick change!

Awhile back, I was on a stenciling spree and stenciled the doors to the TV stand, just a little fyi for ya! Another quick, cheap, and easy project!

What do you think? How do you spruce up an area on a cheap budget?

4 comments:

  1. Love that idea! It definitely adds some color and makes it pop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice addition of color! Followed you from the Mom's Monday Mingle. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome idea. I like the add of color and pattern:)
    Thanks for linking up to Tell me Tuesday

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and try to reply to each one I can! So please let me know what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...