Our Cleaning/Organizing Schedule

I love love love love to clean!! I'm a self-proclaimed OCD person, who can't stop until it's all done.  To keep myself from spending my entire weekend cleaning, I have developed a cleaning schedule of sorts that is still a work in progress, but thought I'd still share it with y'all!

This schedule may not work for everyone since we all have different schedules, but you can definitely base it off of what we do.  We don't have a cleaning schedule board since it's just the two of us. I definitely see that coming into the picture once kids arrive though.  Anyways here is our current routine that gets changed up every so often due to work schedules and traveling!


Daily:
-Clean dishes and load dishwasher: we have a cat that loves to jump up on our kitchen counters (don't worry I clean them all the time because of this), so we can't leave dishes out all day and night.  J and I made a compromise when we got married that if I cooked dinner, he would clean it up, and we've stuck to it! It definitely helps me to not feel like I'm doing everything.  We then run the dishwasher once it is full, this takes a couple of days since it is just the 2 of us! We also empty it together as soon as it's done so that no dishes gather in the sink

-Make the bed: this one is probably the hardest, as we don't nearly get this done every single day.  I really try, but I am not a morning person, so the last thing I want to do is make a bed that I would rather be sleeping in! I do want to get into the habit of doing this though for when we have kids, so that we can lead by example for them.

-Pick up stuff off the floor: every night before I go to bed I just walk around the apartment and do a clean sweep. I pick up shoes and throw them in the closet, fold the blankets on the couch, make sure Destin has food and water for the night, etc. This way when the weekend comes our house isn't completely destroyed!

Weekly:
-Laundry: J is really good at helping me do the laundry.  We are currently working opposite schedules, so his weekend is during the week, and my weekend is the actual weekend.  This is really nice because he can get the laundry started during the week instead of me doing all of it over the weekend.  We do laundry pretty often because we both run everyday and work out every other day, so we have a lot of dirty clothes that HAVE to be washed because they smell (well, his does ;)).

-Vacuum: J will do this during the week or I will do it on the weekends, we just vacuum at least once a week because of Destin.  It's so hot outside right now, so she is shedding like crazy, so we have to stay on top of the vacuuming so cat hair isn't everywhere.

-Wipe Down Counters: I do this every Saturday morning, we have a lot of counter space which is amazing but gets dirty really fast.

-Take Trash Out: This doesn't necessarily happen every week, just whenever it's full! We really like to try to make sure we take it out before it starts overflowing!

Bi-Weekly:
-Clean bathroom: Since J and I both work full time the bathroom doesn't get dirty very quickly, so I clean is about every other weekend or every 3 weeks. This involves toilet, tub/shower, sink, counters, mirror, and floor

-Sweep and Mop: This doesn't take long because our apartment is so small and most of it is carpet, but we have hardwood in the entryway, hallway, kitchen, and laundry room. Sounds like a lot but it isn't.

-Clean Kitchen: I wipe down the counters every week, but I do a deep clean every other week or so.  This involves taking everything off the counters and wiping them down, cleaning the stove, cleaning out the fridge, cleaning the sink, and organizing the pantry.

-Dust: Living with a cat, there is cat hair everywhere, so I try to dust pretty often because you can see it all on our dark wood furniture and it grosses me out!

-Wash Sheets and Towels: I sometimes so this weekly, but I definitely do them at least every other week!

-Organize Closet: I'm not sure if I can say I do this "bi-weekly" but I do it whenever it needs to be done. This just involves straightening up our shoes that have been tossed in there, making sure everything is hung and in the right color coordinating spot. J is not color OCD like me, so when he hangs up his clothes, he doesn't color coordinate them and it drives me insane! He's getting a lot better at it, but I just go in and fix it for him most of the time. Click HERE for my tutorial on how to organize your closet.

13 comments:

  1. This is such a great plan & could work really great for families, group living, anywhere really?! Thanks for sharing this plan.

    xo. Kailagh

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI, New follower, I found you through Hayley Navey of A Beautiful Exchange. I look forward to reading more!

    Love and Blessings,
    Lace

    http://lacymeeker.blogspot.com

    P.S. Feel free to follow back (0: I would love to get your feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah,
    Thank You! For the feedback already! I am going to change my reply settings right now!

    love and blessings,
    Lace


    http://lacymeeker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by from THE Collective Social Blog Hop to say hi. Thank you for linking up. Have a fabulous day!

    xo,
    Janise (co-host of The Collective Social Blog Hop)
    http://MamaInHeels.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow. You clean out the fridge every other week? That's incredible! I like the idea of doing a clean sweep every night. I end up doing it every few days when I notice it getting out of hand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I'm a new follower from the Let's Be Friends Bloghop! Looking forward to reading more!

    Jillian
    http://keepcalmandwearpearls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to come up with a list like this myself, having a young daughter has thrown me for a loop! Stopping by from the Let's Be Friends Blog hop!! Following on Bloglovin' now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am very OCD, too! Your cleaning schedule looks a lot like ours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I should could use this schedule. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Im not a morning person either so I found an easy way to make the bed. We only use a fitted sheet and don't use the other flat sheet. It gets tangled in the bed but instead use them as a beach blanket! I use a duvet cover over my down comforter that I bought at Kohl's. Now when you wash the covers all you have to wash is the duvet cover and sheet. Very easy to make bed in morn now becuz all u have to do is straighten out the comfetor and pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Im not a morning person either so I found an easy way to make the bed. We only use a fitted sheet and don't use the other flat sheet. It gets tangled in the bed but instead use them as a beach blanket! I use a duvet cover over my down comforter that I bought at Kohl's. Now when you wash the covers all you have to wash is the duvet cover and sheet. Very easy to make bed in morn now becuz all u have to do is straighten out the comfetor and pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds very similiar to my "To Do" all month! In college, I lived in a house with three other girls...girls who cleaned when things started to stink and rot. Yeah that ended as soon as I moved out! Haha...now my husband and I find it MUCH easier to take one thing at a time and clean as the week progresses. This way everything stays neat and tidy and there is no stink!

    On a side note: check out http://www.alejandra.tv/...she is a professional organizer and her tips are AMAZING! I have learned so much from her!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to find the post.. Very useful information which will certainly help my wife in home cleaning..Right now we are hiring commercial Mattress Cleaning Brisbane services for perfect night sleep

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and try to reply to each one I can! So please let me know what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...