Our Baby Bucket List

Hey friends! So J and I have been married for over a year and half already! It's crazy to think about it because it in some ways feels like we have been married for forever, sometimes it feels like we've been married a day. It still feels like our wedding was just a few days ago, I can remember everything still! Since we have been married the topic that we of course get asked the most is "So when are you going to have a baby?!" I know our friends and family are anxiously awaiting the we're pregnant news, but J and I have a few things we want to accomplish first! We've started referring to our baby bucket list of things we want to do/get done before we have a baby.  I thought I would share some of the things with y'all! Of course, sometimes things don't go as planned, but hopefully we will get most of this stuff done before a baby comes!



1. Buy a house (with a backyard)- you all know right now we live in a tiny apartment. There is no way I'm taking care of a baby in our apartment. We for one, don't have an extra room, and I don't want to disturb our neighbors with a crying baby! - Bought a house Nov. 26, 2013!

2. Have debt paid off- being an accountant, I can't stress enough to people to pay off their debt.  Babies are extremely expensive. I can't imagine having to pay loans every month along with all of our child's expenses. No thanks. I know so many people that do this. Some can afford it, but most can't, and we don't plan on living outside our means.

3. Travel-we have so many places we would like to go to. Although we would love to travel overseas, we just don't see us being able to afford that any time soon. Plus, the US has so many amazing places to see, that we can get more for our money here!

Some of our trips include:
-Take Dream Vacation: Skiing in Colorado at Christmas time (we are doing this for our second anniversary this year!)
-Las Vegas
-Hike in Oregon
-Seattle
-Chicago (looking at you Lacey)
-Northern California (doing next summer)
-New York City (J has never been)-I'd like to go in the fall and see the trees turn colors and walk through Central Park, he wants to go to Madison Square Garden and Harlem
-Boston
-The Carolina's
**we know we probably won't be doing all of this before we get pregnant, but these are things we would like to do!**

4. Establish Careers- We are on our way to doing this, but before we bring children into the world we want to know we will have the money to care for them, meaning, we have to have good jobs! - We moved to a new town with great jobs! We are very happy where we are at!

5. Be Healthy- Before I get pregnant, I want to be in shape and be a regular healthy eater.  I have a hard time doing both of these! I usually do really good for a few weeks, and then I stop or come up with some kind of excuse. - I'm happy to say I've been eating very well and exercising regularly for the past 4 months!

13 comments:

  1. Great idea! And definitely travel while you can, because kids change that. But I think you forgot a place, you should add D.C. to your list - I'd love to see you! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. All great ideas, especially the debt one. That was a huge thing for us, because trust me...not only are babies expensive, all the "pre-baby" stuff is, too! Things I NEVER thought about, like every four week prenatal doctor's appointments, maternity clothes, random "nesting" things that you'll have to do for your house (ahem, Stanley Steemer for me. Ha!). Y'all have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very smart for thinking this way! There is never the "perfect" time, but when you are ready, you'll know without a doubt.

    I've heard a lot of people say that financial reasons shouldn't have such a strong consideration, but I absolutely disagree. Adding expenses of daycare, diapers, food, clothes, furniture, etc. can be significant. If a family isn't in a good financial state, it can put more than just a strain on the wallet. It can affect the relationship between the couple. I've seen it happen multiple times with either friends and acquaintances.

    I don't say this to push people away from having a baby, but you really have to look at it from all angles! Anyway, sorry that was so long... if you come to the Carolinas (specifically SC) let me know! I'd love to meet up with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heard that and I reciprocate your look. This baby talk is freakin the pants off of me

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's smart to know what you want to have accomplished before bringing another person in this world. We have been married just a year and although I think I want a baby right now, I know that it will all come in its own time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this list! We have a lot of traveling on our "pre-baby" to do list too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That pic of you two is so cute! You look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can SO relate to this post! We are so in the same stage of life. However, we purchased a home this past November, finished our backyard this spring, and both have great full time jobs so maybe we are a little ahead of you? I totally agree with you that planning and being prepared is essential! However, as my fortune cookie said today, "If you wait too long for the perfect moment, the perfect moment will pass you by." :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Umm..so our baby bucket lists are pretty much identical! Except, we bought our home about a year ago. A lot of my girlfriends are pregnant right now so I have been getting asked the same baby question. But I couldn't agree with you more. Yeah they always tell me, "You will never be fully prepared for a baby." But, I totally feel that my husband and I should be a little more established in other areas first.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was thinking a lot of the same things before I even met my husband. However, depending on your outlook on life, you can always make it work. We had our first in January. My husband has a factory job (we're talking 25-35,000/year depending on overtime) and I am a homemaker. We have debt, a mortgage, and very few extras. But we have God and each other, wonderful memories and a strong marriage. I would encourage you not to be too set on having everything "just right" before starting your family. Finances have been very tight at times - actually, they are the tightest they have ever been right now, but we have always had a roof over our head, food on our table and clothes on our backs. God will provide. He always has for us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a few of these on my list. I need to get back in shape a little bit, we are debt free and have been for about 9 months now, and I really don't want to be in a small apartment either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this a great list! We share many of the same goals. Ideally have one car paid off, have a home, travel, etc! Also I think it's great to have time being married with no kids so that you have those fun years to remember! A few years in proportion to how many years we will be raising kids is nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this list! Me and my hubby need to make one of these. Great ideas.

    ellie
    www.ChoosingPeaceBlog.com

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and try to reply to each one I can! So please let me know what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...