DIY: Ottoman

Hey everyone! I have a super easy DIY project for you today! As you remember awhile back, I asked which DIY project I should do next? Well, I'm working my way down the list! I have already done the Places We've Been Map Picture Frame, and now I'm on to DIY Ottoman!


I got this idea from my friend Aubrey over at The Kinch Life.  She made her own ottoman and it turned out amazing! Since we live in a super small apartment, we don't have a lot of room for a huge, nice ottoman.  I looked everywhere for a small one, but they were all at least $50 and I was not about to spend that much on a tiny ottoman, sorry. So when I saw Aubrey post that she MADE hers, I thought duh, I can do that! So, I went to work! I didn't want to go to a fabric store to hunt for fabric because I knew there would be way too many that I would want, so I started thinking about what else I could use instead.  I was wondering the aisles of Target I came across the cutest shower curtain ever, and decided I could use it for the ottoman! I didn't want a solid color because our couch is a solid dark brown, and then our apartment came with an already painted dark brown accent wall.  I needed something with color and design that wasn't tooooo crazy and obnoxious.

Supplies:
-Large/thick piece of foam, to whatever size you want. Ours was 22"x 22".
-A piece of plywood about an inch shorter than your foam, so ours was cut to 21"x 21".
-Hardware to screw the legs into, found mine at Home Depot in the wooden leg area
-4 legs 9" tall. Aubrey talks about how she had to go back and forth to try to get the right size, so luckily I had already read her post and didn't have to do that!
-Stain/paint for the legs
-Drill
-Staple gun (got mine at Home Depot for like $9.00 I think
-Fabric (I used a shower curtain)

Step 1: Stain/paint the legs! It took a long time for my stain to dry! While drying, cut the curtain in half, and turn over so the right side up is facing the floor.  Place the foam in the middle of the fabric, and place the plywood on top of that. (go to Aubrey's page for pics on this! HERE)

Step 2: Pull up the fabric and wrap the plywood on one side, and staple it to the plywood. I had to get my husband to help me with this.  Continue to wrap and staple the fabric around the plywood, be sure you are pulling tight.  You can even turn it over to make sure it's flat and doesn't have any wrinkles. Wrap the corners like you do a present, or at least that is what I did!


Step 3: Once that is done, I folded the leftover fabric under and stapled it again to make it look nice. Take your hardware and drill and screw it onto the corners of the ottoman.

Step 4: Screw in your painted/stained legs, and wah la! You have yourself an ottoman!



We absolutely LOVE how this turned out! It's just the right size for us and our little apartment! What do you think? Do you like it? Have you ever just made something instead of buying it?

19 comments:

  1. It turned out really cute! I'd somehow find a way to mess it up though. Where were you able to find the legs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I was just searching for an easy to do ottoman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fabric that you used!!! Such a need idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be neat, not need. :) Face to palm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! And what a smart idea to use a shower curtain! I'm pinning this now. Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that! You did such a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks super perfect . You did a greaaaat job ;)
    Noor's Place

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! It turned out wonderfully! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is super cute! And super easy looking, I even may be able to accomplish making one :)

    www.sarahowe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey doll! Found your blog via the blog hop and I just love it! The ottoman looks amazing. I love DIYing! Follow me via GFC and I'll follow you, doll. <3
    xx
    http://www.lipglossandlattes.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty! Love the fabric! If you're linking up this week I'd love for you to show your ottoman off at All Things Pretty. http://sparklesandastove.com/all-things-pretty-12/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay!
    Love how yours turned out!
    It's a great size and that fabric is perfection!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is great. I think I could actually do this. I like the fabric you chose and your finished ottoman looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks great and really does sound easy to do. I have those matching towels in my bathroom, love this pattern! Thanks for sharing.
    http://www.creativeramblingsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it!! It looks so pretty and professional! Fab job, gal! Thanks for partying with us at Give Me The Goods Monday! Hope to see you back next week! Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and try to reply to each one I can! So please let me know what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...