DIY: Bookcase Makeover

Okay friends, today I finally have another DIY project for you!! Sorry to disappoint, but it's not one yall voted on last week...still working on those!!!  I did this project almost a month ago during tax season, since I was so busy I didn't have time to post it!!



Since we moved, I have been wanting some kind of bookshelf in our living room behind the couch.  The husband and I both love to read and we just don't have enough room for all of our books! (half price books is where it's at, yall!) We went back home one weekend, and as I was rummaging through my old room I found my old bookcase.  It's small but would be perfect in our living room!...Bad part...when I was younger I tried to decoupage it with pictures cut out from magazines and only finished half of it.  It was in rough shape to say the least.



I took the shelves out to scrape off the faux decoupage. The first two shelves I had used clear packing tape so it just peeled right off.  The third shelf, I guess I used real decoupage, and it was completely stuck.  I couldn't get any of it off, so I decided I just wouldn't use that shelf anymore! Ain't NOBODY got time for that!  I went to Michael's and found a really cute rose stencil and I wanted some light grey paint for the project.  I'm obviously not a "color" person.  I'm really trying to work on it....lol I also grabbed some scrapbook paper that I wanted to use somehow on the shelves.

I started by stenciling the outside of the bookcase.  You can click here to see how I stenciled my place mats! Once that was all done, I decoupaged the scrapbook paper to the the two shelves.  This project took me approx. two days, just because I'm lazy a perfectionist and did it really slowly! I love how it turned out and it was SO easy to do!!!! What do you think??





I LOVE MY OWLS!!! :)

26 comments:

  1. SO neat ! I wonder if my books would wanna get place in this bookcase ;)
    Noor @ Noor's Place

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did such a great job! I love the owls too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I love easy DIY makeovers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. New follower from the blog hop! This is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great. And I love that owl!! Why did we ever think pasting magazines everywhere was such a good idea?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute!! And I laughed out loud when I saw the picture of your old bookshelf because I did the same thing when I was little... and of course never finished the project out either! hahah

    --- Mary
    maryjozefiak.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute! Love the stencil, what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cute. I love the owls and flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cute! We have two plain black shelves and this would be an awesome way to dress them up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute! The stencil looks so great, was it hard? I have a book shelf that I want to refinish as well. I love taking old furniture and giving it new life :)

    I have a little owl collection as well! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super cute! I love the roses.
    What software do you use to title your pics? Love that, too!
    I'm visiting you today from Creative Geekery. I hope you get a chance to stop by my blog and comment, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Tile Photo Coasters ~ Gift Idea

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is awesome! Such a cute (and easy!) idea! And it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great, girl! I love the stencils! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sarah
    Small world! I rant into you today at Follow Friend Friday. I'm now following you on Bloglovin. I hope you get a chance to stop by my blog, comment and follow back, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Tile Photo Coasters ~ Gift Idea

    ReplyDelete
  15. There's no link for the stenciling process. :) This turned out great. I wonder if I could do this w/our ugly brown bookshelf (paint it white and stencil it). You've given me food for thought. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sarah, I love your stenciled book shelves, it looks great! Love the gray against the white, understated and elegant. The blue on the shelves is a nice touch too. I'm your newest follower, I found you on Summer Breezes link up. Please come by my blog and I hope you'll follow back.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the makeover!! :)
    Thanks for participating in A Lovely Blog Hop with us! Following you now! Have a beautiful day! :)
    <3 Amanda*
    http://modernhippiemomma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a nice owl obsession as well!! Love the makeover!
    Stopping by from the link up :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a wonderful makeover. It really turned out nice. I just started following so I have to go back to see what everyone voted. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. love this idea! actually have a bookcase in my closet for storage that would be perfect for a makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE that! Such a huge transformation! I never thought of doing something like that on an old, non-wooden bookshelf. And I love owls too :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an awesome makeover! It looks great :-) I would like to invite you to link this at our weekly link party !

    http://withablast.blogspot.com/2013/04/all-my-bloggy-friends-link-party-44.html

    Hope to see you there !

    ReplyDelete
  23. So so cute and the options with stencils and paper are endless!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I totally did that to one of my old book shelves in college with modge podge. I love the way you recreated it.. I think I gave mine away to good will.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and try to reply to each one I can! So please let me know what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...